What is the Emissions Cap?
In the next few months, the Canadian federal government will decide on a new approach to cap and cut emissions from the oil and gas sector. It is a crucial moment where elected officials can act on their promises to address Canada’s biggest source of absolute emissions.
A strong oil and gas emissions cap will:
- Place a hard cap on emissions–oil and gas companies won’t ever be able to pollute above current levels again.
- Reduce emissions immediately, and ensure emissions are further reduced by 60% by 2030.
- Be cost effective and likely to succeed – it’s expensive and damaging to keep stalling change.
- Make sure that all types of emissions are reduced, not just those that come from extracting and refining oil and gas — emissions that come from burning oil and gas need to be included too.
- Eliminate the opportunities for industry loop-holes that avoid absolute emission reductions.
Our elected officials need to know that this is important to us and our families–and that we’re paying attention. Connecting with your MP and encouraging others to do the same is the best way to show your support for a strong emissions cap. There’s no time to waste–the window of opportunity on this is right now.